Sikh Research and Education Center
655 Old River woods Lane,
Gurmat vis-a-vis Yoga Schools of Thought
Yogic exercises of ‘forcible Dharna and Dhiana’, creates inner vacuum only, and Mind remains untackled and un-checked. It is the Mind, which wanders and creates the FIVE PASSIONS or Instincts, cause havoc in our life - Lust, Anger, Greed, Attachment and Pride, created by God, Who alone, with His Blessings, enable us to make their Rational Use. God is the Creator of everything imaginable, the Embodiment of All Imaginable Virtues, and the only GIVER, None Else. It is for us to choose, which way we want to adopt – Path of Virtuous and Happy Life with God or Path of Short Cuts, ultimately Discontentment..
“Practicing restraint by Hatha Yoga, the body wears away. The mind is not softened by fasting or austerities. Nothing else is equal to worship of the Lord's Name. 1.
O mind, live in love with God abiding in you, and associate with the humble servants of the Lord. The tyrannical Messenger of Death cannot touch you, and the serpent of Maya cannot sting you, when you drink in the sublime essence of the Lord. 1. Pause .
The world reads the arguments, and is softened only by music. In the three modes and corruption, they are born and die. Without the Lord's Name, they endure suffering and pain. 2.
The Yogi draws the breath upwards, and opens the Tenth Gate. **He practices inner cleansing and the six rituals of purification. But without the Lord's Name, the breath he draws is useless. 3.
The fire of the five passions burns within him; how can he be calm? The thief is within him; how can he taste the taste? One who becomes Gurmukh conquers the body-fortress. 4.
With filth within, he wanders around at places of pilgrimage. His mind is not pure, so what is the use of performing ritual cleansings? He carries the karma of his own past actions; who else can he blame? 5.
He does not eat food; he tortures his body. Without the wisdom of God, abiding in him, he is not satisfied. The self-willed manmukh is born only to die, and be born again. 6.
Go, and ask the Lord abiding in you, and associate with the Lord's humble servants. Your mind shall merge into the Lord, and you shall not be reincarnated to die again. Without the Lord's Name, what can anyone do? 7
Silence the mouse scurrying around within you. Serve the Primal Lord, by chanting the Lord's Name. O Nanak, God blesses us with His Name, when He grants His Grace. 8. 5. ”
(P. 905, Ramkali M. 1, Astpadian)
** FOR INNER CLEANING, SIX METHODS ADOPTED BY YOGIS ARE -
- Dhauti - Muslin cloth 4 finger wide and 15 feet long, soaked in tepid water is to be swallowed and then taken out. This will clean the alimentary canal.
- Basti - It is a type of water enema to clean the intestines. One is to sit in a tub of water, and take a bamboo tube 6 fingers long and to insert 4 fingers of its length into the anus. Anus is to be contracted to draw in the water. Shake well the water within the bowls and then expel the water outside.
- Neti - A thread without knots about 12 fingers long be inserted into the nostrils and thread taken out from the mouth. The thread is to be inserted from one nostril and taken out from the other nostril. In this way the nasal passage and the throat is to be cleaned.
- Trataka - Gaze steadily without winking with a concentracted mind at any small object, until tears begin to flow.
- Nauli – This abnormal churning with the help of rectus muscle of the abdomen. Bend the head down, isolate the rectus muscle and turn it from right to left and from left to right.
- Kapalabhati - Breathe in breathe out rapidly like the bellow of a blacksmith. Lungs are thus cleaned.
Return to the top of the page.